Saturday, September 28, 2013

Inspiration, Motivation and Commitment ~ Three Ducks in a Row


Inspiration, Motivation and Commitment ~ Three Ducks in a Row

First of all, let’s clear up the difference between these three. 
I believe they are all integral to succeeding in whatever it is a person is trying to achieve.

                                         The dictionary definitions are not that helpful.

Inspiration: a thing or person that inspires.
Motivation: something that motivates
Commitment: the state of being committed

My Interpretations

inspiration: that one thing (or series of things) that drives the initial decision to do something, have something or make changes.

motivation: the reason (or reasons) that a person has for wanting to do something, have something or make changes.

commitment: making a pledge or a promise to carry out an action (or series of actions) to enable a person to do something, have something, or make changes.

So, in a nutshell. Inspiration makes us want it, motivation helps us get it and commitment makes it last.



So what does this all mean in a personal and slightly more practical sense? How was I inspired in the first place, what keeps me motivated and what is the driving force behind that all-important commitment to seeing it through?

I have spoken to a lot of people who have attempted to reach goals in the past and have succeeded to a point, but then somewhere along the way they have lost momentum and ended up either stopping still or going right back to the place that they started. Sound familiar? It is to me, because I did it too many times to count.
Throughout all those years, failed attempts and half-measures of success, there seemed to be something missing. That something was undeniably, without a doubt, 100% related to my mindset. I may have had plenty of one or even two of those components working for me, but I certainly didn’t have all three.

What went wrong in the past?

Every time I started out on a new weight loss programme, I would begin with an amazing amount of momentum and a positive outlook. For some reason however, I would never be able to keep the weight off. I would always, and I mean always, put the weight back on and then some. I ended up heavier than when I had started out. This was a cycle that I was bound to repeat time and time again until that critical moment in 2012 when I finally decided that enough is enough. My theory is pretty simple. You have to change the way you think about it. Throw out the word ‘diet’ because it just doesn’t work, forget about the ‘quick fix’ mentality because that doesn’t work either, find a way to gather these three simple things together and you will succeed.

Three Ducks?

Do you really need all three? Isn’t one by itself enough? I think not!


Inspiration without motivation or commitment: 
Wanting to change but not willing to put in the effort or go further than step one. Fail.

Motivation without inspiration or commitment: 
Plenty of reasons to do it, nothing really driving it and not a single chance of it lasting longer than a few months. Fail.

Commitment without motivation or inspiration: 
Plenty of perseverance , but no real reason to keep going or even get started. Fail.

Even two out of three doesn’t really work ... 

Inspiration and motivation without commitment: 
Short term results and then, eventually and inevitably … failure.

Motivation and commitment without inspiration: 
I think you could probably get by on these two, but with nothing to feed the dream, the dream soon fades.

Inspiration and commitment without motivation: 
It’s all about wanting to get somewhere and having a long term focus, but lacking the reason to stay on the path. As the motivation subsides, so does the inspiration and not long after that commitment is gone.

So that explains why I failed so many times. Thankfully, this time was different.
All it took was a shift in my thinking.



What went right?

This time was different somehow. 
I had these three little ‘ducks’ in a row and it just felt right. 
It was a winning combination. 




My Inspiration

Among many other things, two people stand out as my main sources of inspiration. 
They are both named Sarah.

My daughter Sarah is a quiet achiever. Little by little, right before our eyes, she focused herself on a weight-loss goal, developed the strategies she needed to get the job done, and without any of us really noticing it happening, lost an incredible 19 kilograms. This inspired me and it was at this time that I started to believe I might be able to do it too. It was Sarah that I spoke to about the tools I would need to follow her lead and lose some weight too. It was Sarah that introduced me to My Fitness Pal, which has, quite frankly, changed my life.  She has been an important part of my journey in so many ways.  I will always appreciate her guidance, her unrelenting support and her friendship.

Sarah Collier


My friend Sarah is another truly inspirational woman. One day when I was browsing through some facebook pages, I stumbled across an incredible image of Sarah, a before and after photo that she had uploaded. I was just amazed. If I remember correctly, I think I was moved to tears. Sarah had lost over 63 kilograms. What I saw in that moment was not just a record of an incredible journey, made by a strong, determined, beautiful person, but a tiny glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, I could do it too.
Sarah O'Brien



My two Sarahs were, have been and always will be a major source of my inspiration. Not only did they walk the path before me and show me that it could be done, they showed me how. What they probably don’t realise is that they, in their own ways, both helped me to slowly build a small measure of faith in myself that this elusive dream could become a reality, and that I could do it. Yes ... even me.

I will always be in their debt for this.



My Motivation

At the beginning of this crazy trip, my motivation was a little eclectic and maybe even a bit misguided. My reasons for wanting to lose weight have changed significantly along the way and I would much prefer to only talk about the most intelligent ones, but, from the start, here they are:

In the early days:
My reason for losing weight was to look like other women that I thought were attractive (thin, looked good in jeans, could wear a belt and not look like a sack of potatoes)

As time went on: 
Firstly, to look like myself in my younger days (when I could wear a belt and looked good in jeans myself!) Secondly, to get down one more dress size, and then another, and another!

Further down the track: 
My reasons for losing weight shifted again. I wanted to be the best version of myself that I could be. At this point, I realised that the only person I was in competition with was myself, and I was winning.

More recently: 
My motivation was about getting fit, I wanted to tone up my arms, shoulders and other bits that were starting to look smaller, but not all that great. I had also started running at this stage and I wanted to run further, faster and for longer. 
My motivation had shifted from having a negative body-image and wanting a positive one, to a more fitness-based way of thinking. I wanted to be stronger, fitter, faster and last longer. Suddenly, it wasn’t about size or weight any more.

Most recently: 
My reasons to stay motivated are One: to lift heavier, to maintain the lean muscle that I now have (and am extremely proud of!) Two: to keep running and gradually increase the distances that I run and reduce the times that I run them. It is now all about beating that last PR and just getting better.


How do I stay motivated?

I look at all the hard work I’ve done and I am just so determined to never go back. This is my life now and I am living it.

Three things that motivate me: 
Goals ... Success ... Intrinsic Reward.

The other key way that I keep myself motivated is that I set new goals all the time and strive hard to reach them. 

I have never stopped setting goals, and as far as I am concerned, reaching my goal weight  was just the beginning.

If I set my goals in a way that they are achievable, the feeling of success that comes with achieving them is reward enough. This is a huge motivating factor for me. This is intrinsic motivation: where you set a goal, make a plan on how you intend to achieve it, and then when you do, it drives you forward toward your next goal. From then on, I just kept setting new goals. Looking back to see how much I had achieved made me more determined not to go back. The goals started taking on a different focus, but they were crucial to my continued success. The focus now wasn't about losing weight any more. It was to become better, faster, and stronger. The best part about intrinsic motivation is that the achievement of the goal is its own reward.



My Commitment:

Commitment is a big word, with an even bigger meaning. Without it, I could have had as much inspiration and motivation as the world could give, but it would not have been enough.

That day that the two Sarahs had worked their magic on me and I had finally (finally!) made the decision to change my life and lose the weight, I made a commitment to myself that I would do it. 

Of course there was doubt. With a history of failure, of course I am going to doubt the likelihood of success. But, nevertheless, doubts and all, the commitment had been made. It was like a pledge or a promise that I made to myself that I would do everything in my power to look after myself and that I would see it through. 

This commitment doesn’t come easily, but with that change of mindset, a positive thinking attitude, inspiration and motivation intact, I was ready. I was ready to make the changes that I had dreamed of for many years.


Whenever I feel that commitment waning, I think back to my inspiration and to my ever-changing motivation and I make the commitment again. There is no turning back.

So ...

... are you ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment